Thursday, May 15, 2008

One of those days

Seeing as nothing has happened really since yesterday afternoon, it's time to recycle some material.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 at 1:57pm

After being pressured for weeks to finally get some headway on signing up for classes, I decided today was the day- well actually Dad told me today was going to be the day. With only two exams today (one at 9, one at 5) and no car, it only seemed logical that I should spend my day at the registrars office, getting an application for standard admission (as I will hopefully no longer be a dual enrollment student next semester), seeking division approval to take Music Theory 111 (a class I am being forced to take), and taking a math placement test (as I have no clue what math class I should take).

This morning, sadly, I did not have such a clear understanding of what needed to be done. After a lengthy explanation given to me by father which ended in a slightly demeaning "One... One... One... can you at least remember that? Call me if you get confused," I announced wholeheartedly that the admissions office knew nothing and would prove entirely unhelpful. But as I hopped out of the driver's seat and turned the wheel over to my father, I decided I would give it the good ol' college try, since I had nothing better to do anyways.

With an hour until my first exam (which, by the way, I needed a 97 on to get an A in the class), I headed over to Main Hall, determined to overcome my intimidation of the large, heavily lipsticked woman who was no doubt at her post this morning (as she had been every morning in the past), determined to succeed in my mission. To my surprise (I shouldn't have been surprised, this is Community College we're talking about here and it was indeed 8AM), there was no line, so I walked right in.

"Mmmhmmm?"
"Hi, um, I have a few questions?"
"Mmmm, whatchu need shugah?"
"Um, I need to pick up an application for standard admission, I'm a dual enrollment student right now but I'm grauating in the-"
"Oh, nuh uh, there is no application, you just need to meet with a counselor and declare your course of study. There is no -chuckle- honey no, there's no application."
"Oh, well, okay. Um, I have another question then, I need to get division approval to take Music Theory (shoot... what was that number...) 111, um I've been taking piano for 10 years so I'm trying to get excused from the prerequisite..."
"Mmmm you just gonna have to talk to the counselor about that one hon."
"Okay, well maybe you can help me with getting a math placement test."
"You taken the SATs?"
"Yeah-"
"And whatchu get on the math?"
"600 something I think..."
"What's your social?"
"Oh gee, I dunno... but I have my student ID..."

After looking me up and checking my scores online (I got a 650 on the math portion, btw), she informed me that if I didn't know what math to take, the counselor would just have to handle that too.
"Well then, can I talk to this counselor?"
"Ummm, I suppose I could see about that, I mean there's really no hurry though, plenty of time, plenty of time."
"Well I'd like to take care of this now, my dad's been bugging me about it..."
"Honey how old are you?"
"Sixteen."
"Well we can't do this now anyways, you need a parent with you. If you were seventeen, going on eighteen, maybe I'd let it slide but no, no honey you're too young. We're open until seven for the next two weeks though, so you can come back then. You have a nice day."

After being summarily dismissed from the office, I disappointedly called my father who said he would come at lunchtime and solve the problem.

"Can you bring me food?"
"-sighs- Chicken nuggets?"
"Yep."

So I had fourty minutes of nothing to do, and BFF Josh always insists that I need more excercise, so, diet coke and psychology book in tote (the exam was open book), I set off on a walk down Butler Farm Road. A nice sidewalk quickly presented itself and I wandered around someplace that seemed to be called Workforce Development. People with briefcases and suits and cigarettes and the occasional bag-with-wheels rushed in and out of the buildings, mostly in, as it was still early-ish morning. I went in a loop around Workforce Development and found myself on a new sidewalk. I was rather frusterated by this point, as instead of using my walk as a time to relax, I had spent the whole time working myself up over how horrible my day had been and how stupid I must be and how horrid it is to be young and how i'd never get a 97 on this exam. So under the arm went the book, into the right hand went the coke, and out came the phone. Txting away my trouble seemed the only thing to do, and my thumb flew in a bizzard of venting. I don't know how long I typed for, the only clue is that out of the maximum 1120 characters (160x7, check my math people) that one message can handle sending, I had about 47 remaining when the sidewalk suddenly ended and I found myself face down beside of the road, coke spilling and phone flying. After the treck into the leaf pile to fetch my phone, I sat on a muddy tree stump, finished my woeful txts, and waited.

When it got to be 8:45 I was tired of waiting and headed across the road to the "Community College ghetto" (as one professor had named the annex building that was a 5-10 minute walk from the main campus). I was the first student to enter the psych classroom. My professor looked at me, smiled cordially, and summoned me to his desk with his index finger. I was handed a test and a four leaf clover. My eyes must have lit up with child-like glee because he laughed and said, "what, you've never seen a four leaf clover?" I told him that I had looked for hours before, but had never actually found one.

I went and took my test, other students came and took theirs too (nobody else got a clover though). When all was said and done, I got a 93 (leaving me with a B for the semester) and was wished "good luck in my endeavors" and then I left.

I puttered around for a bit, dad came and brought food which I ate like a two year old, barbeque sauce covered my hands and it was just a generally childish experience, I was rather alarmed with myself. Another alraming thing that occured during the meal- a sea of people I recognized from this morning's office trip started leaving Main Hall in swarms. I became a little nervous, but the woman said they were open until 7 so I dismissed the sightings.

Sadly, upon visiting the office we were informed that everyone had left for a town meeting and wouldn't be back until 2. So dad went back to work and said he'd return then. So here I am, in the library. Waiting until 2.

Andddd it's about 2 now, so I'm off to see if the meeting is over. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 at 5:42pm

The meeting went... not so well. But I have declared a major.

I also turned in my final english paper this afternoon, and picked up my art portfolio, discovering I made an A in Fundamentals of Design 1 (barely- 89.5).

But of course things still had to go wrong.

After hours of boredom, I showed up at 5 to my Public Speaking "exam" only to find an empty room. Well, almost empty. There was one person there, a boy that has been constantly dazed and confused with a glazed expression ever since his alarming seizure last month during class. So the two of us called our classmate Annalyn, who told us that the exam was not today at 5, it was Tuesday at 5 (as in 48 hours ago). So seizure boy and I raced off to the library to email Mr. D. We called him as well but got no answer. We can only hope he has mercy on us and allows us to take a make-up exam... time will tell. I'll keep you posted.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 at 4:01pm
"One of those days" turned into one of those weekends...

I went to prom Friday which was pretty cool, I was really excited to ride in a limo for the first time ever! There was assigned seating and stuff though and it was a little formal for me, but I had a pretty good time. I was rather tired though, I didn't get home until 2.

But I was still worried about my Public Speaking situation... several calls had been made and emails sent, but had been met with no response yet. And Saturday turned out to be quite the disaster, riddled with arguments and frustrations.

Sunday morning was amazing though! Every few weeks I help out in Sunday school for elementary aged kids, they are so much fun. Then I had good food at Moe's... Dad was a little miffed by the meal-time experience however. When the lady at the counter asked him what his name was, apparently she mis-heard because she wrote down "Rat" instead of "Brad." It was rather alarming. And apparently my Mother is now "Sidnie." Oh well.

Sunday afternoon/ evening was a little rocky, new tensions stemming from the previous day's troubles were kindled, however for most of the day I pushed them aside and had a great time with Josh, his girlfriend Amanda, my exboyfriend, and this other amazingly cool kid. The best part of the evening was definitely when adorable Amanda was handed a stuffed bear from a random boy. She decided she'd give it to a crying child we would no doubt meet along the path to Land of the Dragons. Lo and behold, a little child walked past us (not crying, but it's alright as you will see in about 3 seconds) and we heard the little voice say "hello bear!" Amanda raced after it to give it the bear... the child turned out to be mentally handicapped and it was just a rather touching moment all around.

At 8 I headed home.... That night sucked, blah blah blah... I was also informed that the next morning (Monday at 9:15) I would be dropped off at Community College and picked up after I contacted my teacher. I was rather distraught, as I had been informed by a teacher that teachers had stopped holding office hours on Friday. Also, nowhere on the syllabus was an office number for this man enumerated, only the phone numbers and email address which I had basically been spamming for the past several days, to no avail.

Monday morning I read through every email I had ever recieved from him, pouring over them for some sort of clue as to his whereabouts. I discovered an email address I had not before seen, and sent to it a firmly worded yet polite and apologetic sounding paragraph, which included my phone number in case all the buildings were closed once I got to school and I ended up sitting under a tree all day. To my surprise, at about 9 my phone rang, and my professor told me he was just going to average together the grades I got on all my speeches and not to worry about a thing because I had an A for the semester.

Funny thing is, I got a B on all my speeches except two...

But I'm not going to question it! I didn't have to go to school or take the exam, which by all accounts was murderous and horrible...So I suppose everything (well not everything, but most things) had a happy ending.

3 comments:

Princess Elwen said...

Hello, cousin!
I'm sorry your weekrnd didn't go so well, but I thought it was a great blog: a definite step toward fame in blogger world. I wish I could post as well as you and so I commend you on your fabulous and EXTREMELY intense blogger reads.

Princess Elwen said...

I meant weekend, btw...sorry!

Princess Elwen said...

Also, srry to keep commenting like this, I suggest you have a red wagoning post for all to enjoy...including pictures, perhaps!!!